Job Title: Manager Accounting
Who we are:
As one of the largest for-profit thrift operators in the United States, Canada and Australia for value priced pre-owned clothing, accessories and household goods, our mission is to champion reuse and inspire a future where secondhand is second nature. We supply our stores with gently-used, one-of-a-kind items that have been donated by the community to local nonprofit organizations. We purchase these items directly from our nonprofit partners, redirecting billions of pounds of used items away from landfills and on to our store racks and shelves for reuse, and providing our partners with valuable funding for their community-based programs and services. You’ll often hear us say that we are “Thrift Proud.” It’s the millions of loyal customers who visit our 300+ stores and our more than 22,000 team members that make it possible. Learn more about the Savers® family of thrift stores, our impact, and the #ThriftProud movement at savers.com.
Our brands are Savers (in the U.S.), 2nd Ave (in the U.S.), Value Village (in the U.S. and Canada), Unique (in the U.S.), Village des Valeurs (in Quebec) and Savers Australia.
What you can expect:
- The opportunity to celebrate uniqueness. We are made up of people from many different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, all with something special to contribute.
- To work in a purpose-driven company, with a business model that people love for our impact on both the planet and local communities.
- An investment in the career path interests of our people. With our aggressive store expansion plans, we recognize the importance of the continued growth and development of our team members.
What you get:
Comprehensive onboarding and training from day one.
In-house expertise! Our training department / Savers University develops and delivers robust training to every team member across our organization — from new hires to senior executives. We develop around 90% of our training internally, and partner with a variety of renowned providers to supplement our offerings.
Benefits offerings including:
- Bundled health plans such as medical, Rx, dental and vision
- Company-paid life insurance for extra protection and peace of mind
- Programs to stop smoking, diabetes management coaching, and on demand care options.
- A 401k plan with generous company matching contributions to assist you in saving for a secure financial future.
- Paid time off from work for leisure or other hobbies.
- A range of mental health services to assist you in managing daily life.
What you’ll be working on-
The Manager Accounting SG & A (selling, general and administration) provides technical accounting support to the business and executive team by researching technical accounting matters and providing guidance on the proper accounting treatment of transactions and accounting pronouncements. Provide guidance and supports the closing/consolidation process and assist with the external audit process. This role reports to the Assistant Controller.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensure timely research and accurate implementation of new US GAAP standards
- Define and establish worldwide accounting policies and procedures for new US GAAP standards and assist with implementation
- Assist and advise on the timely and accurate documentation of significant and non-routine accounting transactions and events
- Perform special projects and identify and analyze specific problem areas and make recommendations for corrective actions
- Assist in the preparation/review of periodic accounting entries and reconciliations
- Perform analytical review of financial results, ad hoc reporting and analysis
- Participate in statutory accounting audits with external accounting firm
- Business partner to organization regarding functional questions/interactions
- Determine the proper accounting treatment of complex or unusual transactions via research and appropriate written documentation.
- Identifies, recommends and implements accounting process improvements to support the company goals and objectives
- Other duties as assigned
What you have-
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) requirements and controls/compliance infrastructure
- Strong knowledge of GAAP – US and international
- Change management.
- Intellectual curiosity/critical thinking
- Ability to identify areas of improvement and drive results
- Strong sense of urgency
- Manage multiple responsibilities
- Strong leadership and people development skills
- Process improvement/idea generation/implementation
- Experience with external audit firm – participation in annual audit process
- Excellent Excel skills
Minimum Required Education, Training, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, CPA a plus
- Minimum of 15 years accounting experience
- 5+ years of public accounting experience or 3+ years in a similar role
- Experience with Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations a plus
- Process improvement/project management skills a plus
- Ability to express or exchange ideas utilizing the spoken word.
- Ability to receive detailed information through verbal communication and make the discriminations sound.
- Ability to receive detailed information visually through written communication (both physical and electronic).
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
Work Address: Savers is also an eVerify employer