Job Title: Employee Relations Specialist
Pay Scale $59,326 to $85,429
Geographic & job eligibility rules may apply
Comprehensive coverage (medical/dental/vision) at a reasonable cost
Specialized health programs – Improve wellness (quit smoking, counseling, diabetes management, chronic joint pain)
Paid Time Off
- Actual amount based on position and hours worked
- Increases with length of service
- 40 to 80 hours annually
- Based on position and full-time/part-time status
- 6 paid holidays plus 1 to 2 additional floating holidays
Team member discounts
Up to 50% off store merchandise
Flexible spending accounts
Use pre-tax dollars for eligible health and day care expenses
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
A whole suite of free tools and resources to manage life’s challenges and maintain a healthy work-life balance
Company provided peace of mind and the option to purchase a supplemental plan
Performance Merit Increases
Who we are:
As one of the largest for-profit thrift operators in the United States, Canada and Australia for value priced pre-owned clothing, accessories and household goods, our mission is to champion reuse and inspire a future where secondhand is second nature. We supply our stores with gently-used, one-of-a-kind items that have been donated by the community to local nonprofit organizations. We purchase these items directly from our nonprofit partners, redirecting billions of pounds of used items away from landfills and on to our store racks and shelves for reuse, and providing our partners with valuable funding for their community-based programs and services. You’ll often hear us say that we are “Thrift Proud.” It’s the millions of loyal customers who visit our 300+ stores and our more than 22,000 team members that make it possible. Learn more about the Savers® family of thrift stores, our impact, and the #ThriftProud movement at savers.com.
Our brands are Savers (in the U.S.), 2nd Ave (in the U.S.), Value Village (in the U.S. and Canada), Unique (in the U.S.), Village des Valeurs (in Quebec) and Savers Australia.
What you can expect:
- The opportunity to celebrate uniqueness. We are made up of people from many different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, all with something special to contribute.
- To work in a purpose-driven company, with a business model that people love for our impact on both the planet and local communities.
- An investment in the career path interests of our people. With our aggressive store expansion plans, we recognize the importance of the continued growth and development of our team members.
What you get:
Comprehensive onboarding and training from day one.
In-house expertise! Our training department / Savers University develops and delivers robust training to every team member across our organization — from new hires to senior executives. We develop around 90% of our training internally, and partner with a variety of renowned providers to supplement our offerings.
Benefits offerings including:
- Bundled health plans such as medical, Rx, dental and vision
- Company-paid life insurance for extra protection and peace of mind
- Programs to stop smoking, diabetes management coaching, and on demand care options.
- A 401k plan with generous company matching contributions to assist you in saving for a secure financial future.
- Paid time off from work for leisure or other hobbies.
- A range of mental health services to assist you in managing daily life.
What you’ll be working on:
The Employee Relations Specialist supports Savers’ vision, by providing support to all aspects of the team member relations function for all US based operations. Under the direction of the Team Member Relations Manager, this position will research, resolve, and respond to a variety of employment related matters. Additionally, this position will assist in maintaining the department database, report trends, coaching & guiding on federal & state law guidelines, resolve questions pertaining to pre-employment matters, including background checks, assist in unemployment claims and support other HR programs. This position reports to the Manager, Team Member Relations.
Essential Job Functions:
- Handle calls, email or other written or verbal communication based on Savers’ open-door procedures.
- Respond to and partner with appropriate managers, to investigate internal claims of harassment, discrimination, workplace violence and other serious policy violations.
- Take statements from complainants, witnesses and accused.
- Follow up to ensure that all material information, facts, and details have been obtained, and obtained and signed off on where applicable.
- Assess the merits of a case based on facts and other findings from the investigation.
- Recommend solutions for resolution of claim that are balanced with company policy and state & federal law.
- Maintain logs and records of team member relations issues generated through the Alertline, email correspondence, phone calls or written communication.
- Track and coordinate the employment background checks in compliance with federal and state law, as required
- Assist with responses to unemployment claims as requested.
- Work with the Team Member Relations team to identify issues/trends and recommend appropriate actions to address.
- Coach and guide management team with understanding of state and federal laws and compliance.
- Work with Team Member Relations Manager to identify needs to be communicated to other areas of the organization and communicate findings to HR leadership.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What you have:
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven experience investigating claims of harassment, discrimination, workplace violence, and other serious policy violations.
- Proven experience assessing merits of investigation findings and providing consistent solutions that are balanced with company policy and state & federal law.
- Proven knowledge of state and federal employment law.
- Proven ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and trust regarding the information placed in an individual’s care.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess experience working with critical detail, be detail-oriented and hold a high degree of accuracy.
- Must be comfortable working in and dealing with high stress situations.
- Superior organizational, prioritization and time management skills.
- Comfortable and adaptable to using various forms of technology.
- Ability to identify problems and recommend solutions.
- Strong desire to learn, observe, assess, and continuously seek ways to add value.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently, or as a member of a team.
- Ability to compile, prepare and report data in various formats and via reports.
- Ability to establish strong professional relationships with peers, internal and external customers, and vendors.
- Ability to work within Savers’ culture.
Minimum Required Education, Training and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree in Business, Human Resources or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in providing human resources generalist services, including experience investigating harassment and discrimination claims.
- SPHR or PHR certification is preferred.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
- The ability to communicate and understand the spoken word are important as well, for example:
- Ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Ability to receive detailed information through verbal communication, and to make the discriminations in sound.
- Ability to receive detailed information visually through written communication (both physical and electronic).
FLSA Status: Exempt
Travel: Minimal to no travel
Work Address: USA - remote
Savers is also an eVerify employer