Who We Are
As one of the largest for-profit thrift operators in the United States, Canada and Australia for value priced pre-owned clothing, accessories and household goods, our mission is to champion reuse and inspire a future where secondhand is second nature. We supply our stores with gently-used, one-of-a-kind items that have been donated by the community to local nonprofit organizations. We purchase these items directly from our nonprofit partners, redirecting billions of pounds of used items away from landfills and on to our store racks and shelves for reuse, and providing our partners with valuable funding for their community-based programs and services. You’ll often hear us say that we are “Thrift Proud.” It’s the millions of loyal customers who visit our 300+ stores and our more than 22,000 team members that make it possible. Learn more about the Savers® family of thrift stores, our impact, and the #ThriftProud movement at savers.com.
Our brands are Savers (in the U.S.), 2nd Ave (in the U.S.), Value Village (in the U.S. and Canada), Unique (in the U.S.), Village des Valeurs (in Quebec) and Savers Australia.
What you can expect:
- The opportunity to celebrate uniqueness. We are made up of people from many different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, all with something special to contribute.
- To work in a purpose-driven and community-based company, with a business model that people love for our impact on both the environment and society.
- An investment in the career path interests of our people. With our aggressive store growth plans, we recognize the criticality of developing the capability our talent.
What you get:
Comprehensive onboarding and training from day one.
Our Savers University develops and delivers robust training to every team member across our organization — from new hires to senior executives. We develop around 90% of our training internally, and partner with a variety of renowned providers to supplement our offerings.
Benefits offerings including:
- Bundled health plans such as medical, Rx, dental and vision
- Company-paid life insurance for extra protection and peace of mind
- Programs to stop smoking, diabetes management coaching, and on demand care options.
- A 401k plan with generous company matching contributions to assist you in saving for a secure financial future.
- Paid time off from work for leisure or other hobbies.
- A range of mental health services to assist you in managing daily life.
What you’ll be working on:
The District Manager in Training (DMIT) reports directly to the Regional Director of Stores and is responsible for the overall management and direction of the store and team in accordance with all policies, procedures, regulations and laws. The DMIT will complete an approximate 15 week outlined training curriculum. After completion of the initial training, DMIT will be immediately placed into a Store Manager role, to continue training and developing mastery of the business, in a single unit capacity (measured over time, through sustained results with cause and effect rationale). The DMIT's demonstrated capability in the SM role, along with DM position availability will each be factors for determining placement timing into the multi-unit DM role. Examples of this capability includes the following job observations/results:
- Ensure store performance meets targets in sales, profit, on-site donations, production, and productivity based on annual performance expectations for the store. Analyze key metrics and information, tie findings to observations and take appropriate action. Inspect sales floor for shop-ability and ensure productivity of merchandise.
- Lead, direct and supervise the work of the management team and through them to entire team. Oversee Production Manager and Retail Sales Manager in proactively planning staffing needs, recruiting, selecting and training team members. Regularly observe, assess, interact, coach and counsel the team. Provide oversight for the work schedules to meet and exceed both customer and donor expectations.
- Audit merchandise and prices rolled to and off the floor. Plan and implement seasonal back stock, merchandising and other strategic programs. Ensure the Savers recycling program is fully leveraged to reduce landfill and allow for further reuse of unsold/un-saleable items.
- Execute all company standards in the Community Donation Center (CDC). Oversee efforts inside and outside the store to create community awareness of the CDC, the company brand and the benefits of donating to Savers.
- Create Store Operating Plans (SOP) to drive towards budget and to optimize results.
- Coordinates with and reports to the Regional Director.
- Customer/Donor Service: Deliver a positive and unforgettable customer/donor experience by setting the example for, as well as training and coaching, customer and donor service expectations, working with all members of management to ensure execution.
- Loss Prevention and Safety: Protect company assets and information by ensuring their safe handling, security and integrity. Proactively promote loss prevention awareness by upholding procedures and ensuring policies are in place. Maintain a safe work environment through education, consistent follow up, ensuring policies and procedures are in place, and supporting the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC).
What you have:
- Must have previous District multi-unit experience
- High School diploma; Post-Secondary degree preferred
- Consistent track record of delivering top tier financial results; high level of energy, commitment and passion about the business
- Natural problem solver with strong analytical skills and sound judgment; takes decisive action in conditions of uncertainty
- Strong budget management and aptitude for working with numbers
- Superior organizational, prioritization and time management skills
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry products weighing less than 5 lbs. Will occasionally need to liftand carry products weighing up to 50 lbs. Occasional pushing and pulling of racks/carts weighing 50 to 250 pounds using 4 – 10 lbs. of force.
- Frequent reaching out in various levels/directions to inspect/handle merchandise, validate work processes, train/coach/counsel the team.
- Possess dexterity for complex hand-eye tasks, including keyboarding, writing on documents/forms, merchandise & pricing inspection.
- Continuous standing, frequent walking, stooping, bending, and twisting and occasional kneeling needed to handle &/or inspect merchandise, validate work processes, train/coach/counsel the team.
- Frequently required to read written & electronic documents and product labels.
- Continuous need to hear and verbally communicate in order to interact with and respond to management, team members and customers. Will need to hear requests in person and via intercom and telephone.
- Will occasionally be exposed to hazardous machinery (compactor, baler, Big Joe), solvents (cleaners, detergents), radiation (Microwave in break room), continuously exposed to dust and frequently exposed to temperature fluctuations.
- Will need to adjust work schedule to the needs of the business, including working some nights, weekends, holidays.
- Able and willing to safely, cautiously, and efficiently navigate work environment that may include large industrial machinery, heavy equipment and product, elevated and uneven surfaces, and heights, and moving forklifts.
- Frequent reaching to various levels and directions to move/stack boxes of product, move product on and off hangers, rails and carts and stock product on display racks/shelves.
- Possess dexterity for complex hand-eye tasks, including keyboarding and merchandise ticketing/movement activities.
- Continuous standing, frequent walking, stooping, bending and twisting and occasional kneeling needed to stack and/or stock product(s) on display racks.
Travel: Will periodically need to drive to meetings or other stores for business purposes.
Location: Cleveland Ohio Market
Savers is an eVerify employer.