Location: Bladensburg, MD, United States
Job ID: 2019-16515
Job Title: Assistant Store Manager, CPC-Serviced Stores
Who we are:
As one of the largest for-profit thrift operators in the United States, Canada and Australia for value priced pre-owned clothing, accessories and household goods, our mission is to champion reuse and inspire a future where secondhand is second nature. We supply our stores with gently-used, one-of-a-kind items that have been donated by the community to local nonprofit organizations. We purchase these items directly from our nonprofit partners, redirecting billions of pounds of used items away from landfills and on to our store racks and shelves for reuse, and providing our partners with valuable funding for their community-based programs and services. You’ll often hear us say that we are “Thrift Proud.” It’s the millions of loyal customers who visit our 300+ stores and our more than 22,000 team members that make it possible. Learn more about the Savers® family of thrift stores, our impact, and the #ThriftProud movement at savers.com.
Our brands are Savers (in the U.S.), 2nd Ave (in the U.S.), Value Village (in the U.S. and Canada), Unique (in the U.S.), Village des Valeurs (in Quebec) and Savers Australia.
What you can expect:
What you get:
Comprehensive onboarding and training from day one.
In-house expertise! Our training department / Savers University develops and delivers robust training to every team member across our organization — from new hires to senior executives. We develop around 90% of our training internally, and partner with a variety of renowned providers to supplement our offerings.
Benefits offerings including:
What you’ll be working on:
Accountable for the overall management and direction of the processes associated with the day-to-day functions of the sales floor and the Community Donation Center. Upholds company standards throughout all customer and donor areas of the store (inside and outside), remaining aware of customer and donor needs, and monitoring and ensuring fast, accurate, and friendly service at cash registers, self-checkouts, on the retail floor, and at point of donation. Oversees production processes as needed. Manages multiple teams led by Retail Supervisors and a CDC Supervisor. The Assistant Manager is guided by the Savers Vision and Core Values. Reports to the Store Manager.
• Ensures store performance meets financial targets and key metrics based on annual and quarterly operating plan(s).
• Continually monitors and sets the pace of work.
• Understands company objectives, local market potential and can analyze and act on key metrics, observations, and information.
• Inspects sales floor for shop-ability, merchandising standards, and ensures a positive customer/donor experience at all points of interaction.
• Leads the generation of new Super Savers Club membership.
• Prioritizes and directs team member activity.
Leadership and Development
• Leads, directs, and supervises the work of supervisor(s), retail sales floor, and CDC team members.
• Plans staffing needs and coordinates recruitment, selection, and training.
• Regularly interacts, trains, coaches, and counsels the supervisors and team members. Provides recognition and candid feedback. Addresses complaints and solves issues.
• Identifies and develops high potential team members for supervisory and management positions through on-the-job, guided work.
• Role models and maintains a respectful, values driven workplace that adheres to all Savers’ Policies and Procedures.
• In the absence of the Store Manager, fulfills their responsibilities and oversees the entire store as acting Store Manager.
Retail and CDC Operations
• Schedules supervisors and team members for cash register, self-checkout, salesfloor, and CDC to meet customer/donor demand.
• Continuously assesses the sales floor and donor areas, and directs team member activity, to ensure that standards are met. Sets the pace of work.
• Informs team members of operating plan targets and progress against targets.
• Monitors sales, items sold and operations labor hours regularly throughout each shift to ensure efficiency targets are met and determine the need to increase, decrease or reassign staffing.
• Identifies sub-standard departments and/or categories and takes action for resolution.
• Accountable for determining appropriate space-to-sales for departments and categories using the CatMax tool and adjusting linear footage accordingly, in conjunction with the Store Manager, to maximize sales.
• Receives and responds to customer questions, requests, and complaints.
• Processes exchanges, special customer needs, and team member purchases as needed.
• Leverages Voice of Customer Program to improve customer/donor satisfaction.
• Delivers a positive and unforgettable customer/donor experience by setting the example for, as well as training and coaching, customer service expectations.
• Actively engages with the customer by seeking firsthand customer feedback to make improvements to all aspects of the shopping and donor experience.
• Implements the set-up of sales and marketing promotions and programs.
Production (Note: Production responsibilities in absence of the Store Manager only)
• Oversees the store processes for the efficient movement of merchandise to the CPC (rag offs, Soft OSD, Book OSD, Soft Reroutes and Green Tag recycling (books, shoes, toys, and housewares)) and the receiving of merchandise from the CPC of priced soft goods, hard reroutes, priced books, priced jewelry, and empty crates. Also oversees the store processes for delivered hard goods.
• Ensures the Savers Recycling Program is fully leveraged to reduce landfill and allow for further reuse of unsold/un-saleable items.
• Regularly communicates with their Store Manager regarding any concerns with CPC supply or deliveries.
Safety, Loss Prevention, and Cash/Tender Control
• Maintains a safe work environment through education, consistent follow up, ensuring policies and procedures are in adherence, and supporting the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC).
• Partners with Store Manager on safety issues and solutions. Reports via Interview Entry platform where appropriate.
• Protects company assets and information by ensuring their safe handling, security, and integrity.
• Manages cash and tender controls. Performs morning accounting and banking procedures as needed and ensures all supervisors are trained to execute this procedure to standard.
• Proactively promotes loss prevention awareness by upholding procedures and ensuring policies are in place.
What you have:
Minimum Required Education, Training and Experience:
• High School diploma: post-Secondary degree/diploma preferred.
• Experience in sales floor supervisor, cashier supervisor, customer service management, or retail management.
• Must be able to frequently lift and carry products weighing less than 5 lbs. Will occasionally need to lift and carry products weighing up to 50 lbs. Occasional pushing and pulling of racks/carts weighing 50 to 250 pounds using 4 – 10 lbs. of force.
• Frequent reaching out in various levels/directions to inspect/handle merchandise, validate work processes, train/coach/counsel the team.
• Possess dexterity for complex hand-eye tasks, including keyboarding, writing on documents/forms, merchandise & pricing inspection.
• Continuous standing, frequent walking, stooping, bending, and twisting and occasional kneeling needed to handle &/or inspect merchandise, validate work processes, train/coach/counsel the team.
• Frequently required to read written & electronic documents and product labels.
• Continuous need to hear and verbally communicate in order to interact with and respond to management, team members and customers. Will need to hear requests in person and via intercom and telephone.
• Will occasionally be exposed to hazardous machinery (compactor, baler, Big Joe), solvents (cleaners, detergents), radiation (Microwave in break room), continuously exposed to dust and frequently exposed to temperature fluctuations.
• Will need to adjust work schedule to the needs of the business, including working some nights, weekends, holidays.
• Able and willing to safely, cautiously, and efficiently navigate work environment that may include large industrial machinery, heavy equipment and product, elevated and uneven surfaces, and heights, and moving forklifts.
• Frequent reaching to various levels and directions to move/stack boxes of product, move product on and off hangers, rails and carts and stock product on display racks/shelves.
• Possess dexterity for complex hand-eye tasks, including keyboarding and merchandise ticketing/movement activities.
• Continuous standing, frequent walking, stooping, bending and twisting and occasional kneeling needed to stack and/or stock product(s) on display racks.
Travel: Will periodically need to drive to meetings or other stores for business purposes.
Location: 4960 Annapolis Road, Bladensburg, MD 20710
Savers is also an eVerify employer.