Director, Application Service Management
The Director Application Service Management is a senior role within the Savers IT organization providing leadership and technical expertise in planning, developing, configuring, releasing, quality assurance and tier 2 support for custom, 3rd party & cloud-based solution across a multitude of devices and platforms for the enterprise and field operations. Reporting to the Chief Information Officer, the Director ASM, a member of the Information Technology senior leadership team, is responsible for the design, implementation and operations for all the company’s application systems including point of sale, loyalty, donations, production, ERP, CLM, CRM, HR systems, and data base & systems administration. The multi-national role has these responsibilities for sites in US, Canada & Australia. This leader has exceptional technical acumen, demonstrated customer/partner empathy, strong project management skills, and proven skills in agile and waterfall methods. This position leads multiple groups and teams that support business technical operations at SSC, field sites, and retail locations. This leader is a proven thought-leader in modern IT methods and strategic in driving our future state operating model and applications in social, mobile, big data/analytics, and cloud scenarios.
This leader provides leadership and technical expertise in planning, selecting, implementation, upgrades, support and maintenance of Commercial-Off-the-Shelf (COTS) business applications, custom applications, integration platforms, and 3rd party SaaS solutions; performs project management across the spectrum of packaged software life cycle from initial conceptualization and requirements analysis through implementation and post go-live optimization; reviews, analyzes, and evaluates business systems and user needs to meet company objectives; defines and implements policies and procedures for ensuring the security and integrity of the company data; manages quality assurance processes; ensures mature change control processes/approvals and overall solution release reliability & quality; develops strategies for data acquisition, system integration, archive, recovery, and implementation of systems/databases; implements and supports data warehousing; manages a team of system administrators, analysts & service engineers to architect, design, configure, and maintain enterprise software products; identifies, researches, and resolves technical problems; serves on the IT Steering Committee; provides mentoring, and employee development; provides tier 2 escalation services and incident/problem management, and manages equipment depot services for all technologies required at stores.
This successful candidate has exceptional technical acumen, exceptional customer/partner empathy, strong project management skills, and demonstrated skills in modern methods. This leader manages engineers across multiple technology platforms and has strong collaboration skills with all disciplines within IT and with internal and external business partners and vendors.
Essential Job Functions:
- Supervises, manages and leads the technical support functions and personnel associated with the IT Systems, in the execution and delivery of services by hiring, training, coaching and mentoring staff.
- Leads project teams to implement and integrate business applications and underlying technology.
- Works with the Custom Application team, Store System team, and the Network/Operations teams to deploy and optimize Production systems.
- Manages system integration documentation and development of service oriented architectures for data sharing, interoperability, reuse, and maintainability.
- Manages support for the overall IT Systems, including performance and capability, integration and installation, maintenance and documentation, and back-up and recovery. Makes recommendations for additional resources or hardware, including security measures.
- Helps to develop, communicate, and implement data, IT Systems, communications security policies and procedures, including disaster or emergency recovery procedures for IT systems.
- Manages and coordinates third-party vendors for IT Systems hardware, software, and telecommunications services and maintenance.
- Participates on and leads department or companywide projects in support of the company goals and objectives.
- Enhances operations environment with focus on devops, live site 7*24 external facing applications, rapid development, release transition
- Build out extensible monitoring platform across hybrid compute environments
- Manages the planning, architecture, implementation, and maintenance of COTS business application systems.
- Directs design and build-out of hardware and relational databases; develops strategies for data acquisition, archive, recovery, and implementation of databases.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures for organizations intranet applications unit.
- Proactively manages production systems performance, stability & reliability.
- Drives automation into quality assurance and release processes
- Establishes quality gates to production promotion
- Ensures release criteria are established and adhered to including support readiness; knowledgebase support articles; systems engineering requirements for support, performance & monitoring; self-recovery, etc.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates business and technical leadership; mentoring, planning, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrate forward thinking and consistent decision making which leads to best practice implementations.
- Proven team management & modernization leadership re: DevOps, continuous deployment, live site 24*7, external facing applications
- Strong knowledge/experience in:
- Business Case / System Design Analysis
- Application Development Management
- Concepts/Lifecycle Maintenance
- Quality assurance processes
- Release / release automation
- Change control, ITSM
- Tier 2 support models, incident / problem
- Asset tracking
- Service management / service catalog
- Ability to accurately collect and effectively relate information at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work directly with 3rd party vendors to deliver best in class solutions that push forward the evolution and architecture of information data delivery.
- Knowledge/experience in functionality, technology, and design of
- Microsoft platforms, Dynamics AX/CRM
- Kronos TimeKeeper and Scheduler
- Enterprise HRMS
- MS SQL, Analysis, SSRS
- Oracle OBIEE, Oracle RDBMS
- Mulesoft integration platform
- Fujitsu POS & equipment
- Demonstrated skills in supervising, managing and leading teams
- Demonstrated skills in systems integration and a working knowledge of database management
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interpret a variety of technical information and apply back to the business concepts
- Ability to make and influence decisions
- Ability to work within Savers culture
- Champion engineering excellence across the organization and drive innovation.
- Exceptional technical acumen to influence the architecture and design of cloud and/or on-prem fault-tolerant, highly scalable and self-managed systems and services.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision.
- Ability to be detailed-oriented
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Ability to strike an appropriate balance between business requirements and technical constraints while managing ambiguity effectively.
Minimum Required Education, Training and Experience:
- BS or MS degree in computer science or related field
- 15+ years hands-on experience in IT application development &/or support, 3rd party applications, Microsoft and/or Oracle platforms.
- 10 years management/leadership experience
- 5+ year IT project management experience
- Ability to lift and carry up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Ability to receive detailed information through verbal communication, and to make the discriminations in sound.
- Ability to receive detailed information visually through written communication (both physical and electronic).
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Laptop or desktop computer, phone, copy machine, etc.
Page 1 of 2
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.